PremiumTimes is reporting that, the lawyer representing billionaire kidnapper, Evans, has accused officers of the Inspector General of Police’s Intelligence Response Team of extorting money and valuables running into hundreds of millions of naira from his client.
Olukoya Ogungbeje, petitioned the Police Service Commission on Friday. The petition captioned reads in part: “For the avoidance of doubt, it is our secured brief that in the course of investigating our client while being detained, the following under-listed items were forcefully and corruptly extorted from our client:
1. The sum of N50 million cash.
2. Another sum of N5 million sent by our client’s wife as pressured by the above policemen.
3. 25 Mack Trucks forcefully taken but not listed as exhibits in the ongoing criminal trial of our client.
4. Brigade wristwatch worth $117,000
5. Pendant cross worth $70,000.
6. Necklace worth $25,000
7. Virtu Phone worth $30,000.
8. Virtu Signature Phone $17,000.
9. $10,000 cash extorted by ASP Phillip Rieninwa.
10. 5 Pieces of Saphono Rucci Diamond Rings worth $100,00.
11. Lexus 470 Jeep.
12. Grand Cherokee Jeep.
13. L 400 Mitsubishi Bus.
14. Toyota Highlander (Gold Colour).
15. 85 Inches Samsung Television set worth N6.5million amongst others.
The lawyers added that, “our client also confided in us that one (Amaka Offor) his girlfriend was sexually molested and abused,” the petition read.
The petition urged the Police Service Commission to conduct an investigation into the incident and invoke appropriate sanctions including dismissal against the culpable police officers.
“Sir, you would agree with us that these allegations are too weighty to be ignored by any right-thinking Nigerian.
We are using this medium as our own way of galvanizing institutional sanity, cleansing and reform in the Nigeria Police Force as an institution.
As we speak, the brother in law and other relations of our client are still being detained and tortured without being arraigned before a Court of law,” the petition added.